Original Land: Owned by the Major family
The Whitevale Cemetery, established in 1832, is located on Whitevale Road just east of the central village. The land where the cemetery sits was originally owned by the Major family (Whitevale was originally called Majorville after John Major). The cemetery stones reveal a few clues to the past residents of Whitevale; the stones suggest that residents stayed in Whitevale for many generations raising their families and large elaborate stones suggest some residents were wealthy.
An interesting story related to the Whitevale Cemetery deals with the tale of “An Unknown Stranger”. According to the story, a man was passing through town in 1854 and stopped at the Whitevale Hotel. He was reportedly discovered dead in his room the next morning with no explanation for his death and no identification to allow his family to be informed.